This Plastic Free July, Justin Moran from The Hidden Sea Wine – which removes 10 plastic bottles from the ocean every time someone buys a bottle of its’ wine – gives his Top 5 Tips to reduce plastic consumption.
Justin Moran, co-founder of The Hidden Sea Wine says; “ Of the 6.3 billion tonnes of plastic produced since its invention in the 1930s, only 9 per cent has ever been recycled…..Many might look at this statistic and think… ‘other countries’. Sorry to disappoint, but over 60% of all our plastic waste is shipped off to developing countries….The UK is the 2nd largest producer of plastic waste on the planet. We’re only beaten by the United States. It’s a disgrace.”
- Stop using single use plastic’s altogether! Demand your retailers change. So obviously bring your own bags. Buy fresh fruit and vegetables which are loose in supermarkets, rather than pre-packed in plastic wrappers. Fruit and vegetables come with natural wrapping already.
- Seek out alternative (reuse) delivery models for every day household products. Soaps, laundry detergent, shampoos etc. Companies similar to loopstore.co.uk
- Don’t buy water in plastic bottles! Remember bottled water companies don’t produce water, they produce plastic bottles. this is a simple way to reduce plastic consumption.
- Do not support take out restaurants that serve food in single use plastic. Eat in or bring your own containers.
- Buy eggs in cardboard boxes, rather than plastic boxes.