Finding a new house is a tedious task for many people and it can be hard to know where to start. There are many factors at play when making this decision, such as the type of home you are looking for, your budget, your location and more. But finding the right house doesn’t have to be so challenging. Below are some helpful tips to find a new house.
- You should start by creating an account on a site like Rightmove or Zoopla so that you can set up property alerts with specific parameters you’re looking for. Doing research beforehand will also be helpful when looking at any potential homes.
- Work out how many rooms you need, whether you need outside space and how long you will be there. If you are a single 21 year old but plan to stay there for 15 years – is there room for a potential partner/child/dog?
- What will you compromise on? If you want a huge garden but have a specific budget, you might need to compromise on the size of the house.
- If you have children, check out local schools and bus links. Your tiny baby will be getting a bus to school in a few short years!
- Remember to look past the furniture. You could have a completely different home just by putting in your own furniture. Imagine the house empty and with no clutter.
However, before you start looking for a house, its key that you know what you can afford. Make sure you look at your outgoings and ensure that you are going to be able to afford your mortgage payments. When you have a house or budget in mind, calculate your payments. This way, you will know whether a house move is sensible or not. A house is a big purchase and you will want to make sure that you are entering it into a contract that you can afford.
Buying property should be an enjoyable experience for people, so it’s worth taking your time on this decision.
If you are in the process of buying a property in a different area, your first goal should be to find an agent who knows the local market and has experience with your particular needs. For example, if you are looking for a commercial property, talk to an agent who has experience with that type of property.
You will want to have a list of questions ready for your agent. Some good ones: what neighbourhoods do they focus on? What is the current market like? What is included?
Top tip – when putting an offer on a house ask for curtains, blinds and light fittings to be included. Even if they are not to your taste, it means you don’t have to rush around making quick purchases in your first week. The sellers aren’t likely to want to take them with them anyway, but its best to get these things down on paper. Likewise for things like mirrors – if a mirror is a key feature in a bathroom ask for it to be included. Watch out for other ideas and tips on this site for decorating and organising.